· "From the start, we have expressed that we don''t want an expansion of mining here in Mankayan," Lilian Fellao of SMM told Bulatlat . "Lepanto has been there for 77 years, but there is still no development in the host community," she said, at a protest on
These mining companies are Benguet Mining Corporation (1903), Atok Big Wedge (1931), Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company (1936), Philex Mines (1954), and Itogon- Suyoc Mines (1956). While these mines prove to be income generating projects, the damage done to the environment and the community is greater than the gains generated out of it.
Corporate Readiness and the Human Rights Risks of Applying FPIC in the Global Mining Industry - Volume 2 Issue 1 To send this article to your Kindle, first ensure [email protected] is added to your Approved Personal Document E-mail List under your ...
21st Floor Lepanto Building 8747 Paseo de Roxas, 1226 City of Makati Philippines Tel. No. +632-88159447 MINE SITE Lepanto, Municipality of Mankayan, Province of Benguet, Cordillera Administrative Region Philippines [email protected] ...
Lepanto Mine, Mancayan mineral district (Mankayan), Benguet Province, Cordillera Administrative Region, Luzon, Philippines : A copper and gold mine located 108 km North of Baguio. Owned by the Mitsui Mining Co. (WWII). Produced 7,500 tons of Cu (1944).
These include violation of right to FPIC, dispossession from their communities, economic dislocation, and tremendous environmental and social costs from mining disasters, to name a few. Bakun could only become another mining disaster area if Royalco is not stopped.The land devoted to livelihood and subsistence are at high risk of being lost.
· FPIC processes for Tampakan mine questioned. The National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) was urged to be more transparent when it comes to getting the consent of Indigenous Cultural Communities (ICC) and Indigenous Peoples (IPs) for the $5.9-billion Tampakan gold and copper mine project in South Cotabato.
· By KIMBERLIE NGABIT-QUITASOL BAGUIO CITY — Residents of Mankayan under the banner of the Save Mankayan Movement (SMM) reiterate their opposition to the continuation of a mine expansion venture between Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company (Lepanto) and Far South Gold Resources, Inc. (FSGRI) which they say would bring more environmental …
· A trial court in Makati has ordered government regulatory agencies to avoid disrupting the operations of Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company in Benguet, pending resolution of a dispute over its application to renew its mining contract in the area.
· Essentially, FPIC refers to a right of Indigenous peoples to consent, on a free and informed basis, to developments that affect them and the lands on which they live. The consent must be given voluntarily without coercion, intimidation or manipulation. Importantly, consent should be sought sufficiently in advance of any authorisation or ...
The mining industry''s adoption of FPIC is supported by the idea that FPIC can reduce business risk. Footnote 8 From this perspective, FPIC is supposed to improve the operating environment and support the industry in controlling externalities, reducing instability and minimizing the risk of disruption to project development and operations.
· Lepanto intensifies its record of development aggression, exploitation and oppression against the people of the Cordillera. Massive and simultaneous mining by reviving copper mining, continuing the VGP through the 700L project and the Teresa Gold Project will aggravate the danger posed by Tailings Dam 5-A.
Mining companies, including Philex Mining Corp, Lepanto Mines, Benguet Corporation mined copper, silver and gold in several provinces of Cordillera. Policies on mining and other extractives, plantations, and other exploitation of land and natural resources continue to trample indigenous peoples'' rights and encroaching upon their ancestral domains.
Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company is set to be free of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB) by the end of 2018, the first mining company in Southeast Asia to have that distinction. Lepanto commissioned Seanogy Environmental Solutions, Inc., the only PCB solutions provider in the Philippines, to eliminate all PCBs on-site pursuant to DENR Administrative Order 2004-001 and its supporting rules and ...
The FPIC would also determine what are the responsibilities of the mining firm to downstream indigenous cultural communities affected by Benguet''s MPSA. Benguet Corp, however, said it has a "pending appeal with the National Commission on Indigenous People (NCIP) on the result of the Field Based lnvestigation (FBl) report, which effectively suspended the FPIC process."
· Mining companies often operate in multiple jurisdictions. Companies should work to consistently high standards regardless of jurisdiction and should follow international best practice. This means adhering to the principles of free, prior and informed consent (FPIC).
· MANILA, Philippines - Hong Kong''s First Pacific Co. Ltd. is not yet looking at increasing its stake in Philex Mining Corp., while talks for the acquisition of gold and copper producer Lepanto Consolidated Mining Corp. are on hold.
· Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company (LCMCo) is facing a government probe for allegedly polluting rivers in Mankayan, Benguet, Cervantes, Ilocos Sur and communities along Abra River, one of the five biggest rivers in the country. BY ACE ALEGRE Northern Dispatch Posted by Bulatlat Vol. VIII, No. 30, August 31-September 6, 2008 MANKAYAN ...
· Lepanto is seeking renewal of its Mineral Production Sharing Agreement (MPSA) for its Victoria mine in Benguet after it expired last March. Local officials insist the company cannot apply for a renewal without an FPIC, which is required by the IndigenousIPRA).
consent (FPIC) of potentially affected indigenous peoples.52 The circumstances for obtaining FPIC include situations where mining-related activities may affect indigenous peoples'' rights53 or interests, including those that may: impact on lands, territories and54
· BAGUIO CITY — Mankayan Mayor Materno Luspian said a free, prior and informed consent (FPIC) process should be conducted for the Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company''s bid to renew its Mineral Production Sharing Agreement (MPSA)-001 that expired last